The Area Learning Center (ALC) is a year-round alternative high school serving 14-21 year old students in District 196.
The ALC opened its doors in the fall of 1987. The small size of the school (approximately 120 students and 12 staff) allows staff to develop strong working relationships with students and provide a positive educational experience. Transportation is available for students who live in District 196 school boundaries.
Information and Enrollment Packets
- If your student receives special education support (has an IEP), please follow the procedure below. See Special Education Enrollment.
- Enrollment information is included below. Please return completed forms to the Area Learning Center (ALC) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax to 952.431.8722; or US Mail at 5840 - 149th Street West, Apple Valley 55124. If you prefer to have forms emailed to you, please contact Heide Kolhoff at email address listed.
- If forms are not completed and returned to the ALC prior to the New Parent/Student meeting, parent and student will receive the packet at the new student meeting and forms can be completed then.
If you are new to District 196 or have not been enrolled at a District 196 school for over one year, please follow the procedure below for enrollment. Students wishing to return to the ALC, please call the ALC Office at 952-431-8720).New students please enroll at https://www.district196.org/about/enrolling-your-child and use the blue button labeled "K-12 PRE-REGISTRATION (NEW)." Also complete the forms below.
Please return the above three completed forms to the Area Learning Center (ALC) via email at Heide.Kolhoff@district196.org; or fax to 952-431-8722; or mail to 5840 - 149th Street West, Apple Valley 55124. If you prefer to have forms emailed to you, please contact Heide Kolhoff at email address listed.
The ALC's nurse is Susanne Burke. Below is general information about health records, immunizations, and administering medications at school. Please review and reach out to Susanne Burke if you have any questions.
New Student Meetings
All new students and a parent or guardian (for those students under 18) are invited to attend an INFORMATIONAL MEETING at the Area Learning Center, 5840 - 149th Street West, Apple Valley. (Please enter via door # 1.)
New Student/Parent Meetings are held at 3 p.m.
- September 2, 2020
- September 22, 2020
- October 14, 2020
ALC Student Orientation
Due to COVID, the two-day Orientation Class may not take place as it has in the past. More information will be shared when it is available.
Special Education Enrollment
The ALC Special Education Program provides primarily Level 1 and Level 2 services for students with documented disabilities. A full continuum of special education services is available within the regular high school settings through Level 3. District 196 provides Level 4 Special Education Services at Dakota Ridge School.
If a prospective student currently receives special education services, please have the student’s case manager contact the ALC special education team to schedule an Individual Education Plan (IEP) meeting with special education team members present from both schools. The IEP meeting must occur prior to the new student meeting date. For students with an IEP, two steps must occur no less than two days before the term's New Student Informational Meeting date:
- Step 1 - The ALC Special Education Team must receive and review copies of your most recent IEP and evaluation report, and speak with your current case manager about your intent to transfer. PLEASE ASK YOUR CURRENT CASE MANAGER TO CONTACT THE ALC SPECIAL EDUCATION TEAM. FAX THE REQUIRED PAPERWORK AS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- Step 2 - Unless you are transferring from another ALC (or outside the south metro area), your current case manager must arrange an IEP meeting, inviting an ALC Special Education Representative to determine as a team whether or not the ALC can accommodate your special education services/needs, as specified in your IEP.