Licensed middle and high school counselors provide support for the needs of all students in the areas listed below and follow guidelines established by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Academic support and guidance
- Career exploration
- College planning
- Personal and social development
- Chemical counseling
- Community resource referrals
- Credit recovery advisement
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Individual counseling
- Goal setting
- Mental health referrals
- Staff and parent consultation
- Student disability support
- Support groups
Counselors design and implement comprehensive programs within their schools that are data-driven and results-focused, and work with students through individual meetings, small groups and classroom settings.
Effective school counseling programs provide increased student achievement, post-secondary school enrollments, improved attendance and test scores and higher academic grades.
- CALM App
- Conscious Discipline: https://consciousdiscipline.com/covid-19-five-helpful-responses-for-families/
- Minnesota Department of Health Behavioral Health and Emergency Preparedness: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/ep/behavioral/index.html#covid19
- National Association of School Psychologists "Helping Kids Cope with the Changes from COVID-19": https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/helping-children-cope-with-changes-resulting-from-covid-19
- Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19: https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdf
- Minnesota Department of Health "Supporting Mental Health during COVID-19: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1586793971/district196org/auuaxcxxtmmehnvybxpg/MDHMentalWell-beingduringCOVID.pdf